Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Shopping at Art Market

What else would you do when you are on holiday beside of relaxing? according to my inappropriate and random survey to my friends and some of my guests they would say shopping (well, okay most of them are women).

So because I live in a place that Mr. Joger say “ Every Day is Sunday in Bali” that’s mean I am enjoying everyday holiday, it is so unfair that I only recommend my guests to do shopping here and here and there, but me myself only ever pay a visit to that place but not shopping. I know everything about bargain, and morning price but seldom practicing my bargaining skill.

Last night my cousins who lived in Kalimantan asked me to buy some things that she forgot to buy while in Bali. I started my shopping experience with a list longer than my monthly shopping list. I feel a little excited because I can spend money and do shopping without losing my money (off course it’s her money). I went to Sukawati Art market, which is the center of all souvenirs from Bali.

I went there in the morning, because in the morning you can bargain to the very basic price you can get. Most of the seller here are Balinese, and Balinese believe that first customer will bring a good luck for the whole day, never reject the first customer.

My first search is for bags, some colorfull bags made of natural leaf. I started to ask the seller, actually in Indonesian, but I’ll translate it:

Me: Excuse me, Madam how much is this bag?
Seller: Oh that bag is cheap, only Rp. 75.000 (about USD 8)
Me: What, that is not cheap, still expensive. What about Rp. 30.000
Seller: No, Madam, you can bargain but that is too cheap. Have a look for yourself first and pick your favorite one with a reasonable price.
Me: Oh yes, I like this one. And Rp. 30.000 is reasonable price for me
Seller: Allright. I’ll give you the best deal Rp. 50.000. This is morning price already.
Me: Oh That is still expensive. If I can’t get Rp. 30.000 I’ll look for another store. (I started to leave)
Seller: Allright I’ll give you more discount. Rp. 45.000 and this is very cheap price. I cannot go any lower that this and you will not find it anywhere in other store that give you this price.
Me: My budget is only Rp. 30.000 madam. I have no more money.
Seller: Am sorry, Rp. 30.000 is too cheap, allright let’s make Rp. 40.000 and this is final price, please, I don’t take any profit for you
Me: Ok, let’s make it Rp. 35.000 and we make a deal
Seller: No, Rp. 40.000
Me: (Leave the stall)
After 5 meters from the stall
Seller: Ok Madam, I’ll give it to you, This is such a very cheap price and you could not compare to another store, which colour would you take?
Me: (with big smile). Thank you, I’ll take the pink one and it’s Rp. 35.000 right?
Seller: Yes madam, you are very lucky today.

After taking the money from me, she pat the money to all the goods that she display in her store and say “ Garus, Garus, Garus!”

That is the story, Garus means hope the goods will be bought by someone else and there will be lots of people buying in her store.

My Shopping journey continued. I bought lots of colorful beach sandals at Rp. 9.000 each, some bracelet and necklace, beach sarongs and colorful kids clothes.

After 3 hours nonstop, I feel tired and hungry. My car is full of shopping stuff and I think I have bought all that is on the list plus one or two extra cute things that I could not resist to buy. The sun are getting hotter. So I decided to stop and go back home…
Today is a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails