Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Floating Market

I have already put this place on my agenda as a must see! I know that Kalimantan is very famous for its floating market. I saw it a lot on TV. We went very early in the morning because the market only opens in the morning. It’s about 6 am, I woke up in the rush knowing that I am quiet late to visit the market.

We went there by traditional motorboat named “klotok”. It look the same as “ jukung” in Bali. Only different name. The river name is Barito, one of the most famous river in Kalimantan. I know that this river is huge but I don’t know that it is as wide as the sea. I saw lots of big ship taking lots of wood logs. The journey took about 15 minutes to reach to the floating market. It is actually can take only 10 minutes if the motorboat is not having a problem. The motor is stopped, I don’t know, by something in the water. It took five minutes to fix it and the current of the river took us backward.

I saw the floating market full of another smaller and bigger “klotok” The seller yelled offering their goods and the buyer paddle their boat from one seller to another. Me and my mom are excited. We saw a “klotok” full of traditional cakes. Some other “klotok” are surround it while buying cakes and enjoy it with a hot coffee or tea. The seller gave us a stick with a small hook on the other edge. While I am confuse what is it for? He told me that I can use that to pick the cake I like from his boat. Oh..that is interesting.. I pick one cake that looks delicious with that stick and ordered a glass of hot tea to accompany.

I sat in the front of the boat enjoying my tea and my cake. There is no cold wind, eventhough it is early in the morning.. The sun is already risen up but still not hot yet. My mom, my mother in law and my aunty in law sat in the middle of the boat enjoying their cakes and hot tea while chatting. My husband are busy photographing everything he saw

Some local tourist like me passing by and smiled (I know they are tourist, because thay bring camera and their face is just as excited as we are). I smiled back and waive my hand. They waived back to me too. I am glad to know that Indonesian people are still friendly. Smile is a polite manner to say hello.

My eyes catch a small café on the boat. It says” Soto Banjar”. Well that food is also on my list for must eat!. So I told my husband that we have to go to that Café Boat after looking around. The floating market is so busy, just as busy as common traditional market in Bali, except we are on the water not on the ground.. We bought some bananas, my mother in law said it’s for the monkey we will visit on the way back.

We have our breakfast at the Café Boat. I feel dizzy because this Café is keep on rocking. I could not enjoy the food so much because of the boat swinging. I think I got seasick, oh no, it’s riversick. I finished my meal fast and back to our “klotok”. I feel more comfortable here.

As my mother in law said before that we will visit monkeys. I was wondering where is that. We passed a small land in the middle of the river. It is looks like a small island raised above the water. The boat stopped there, and closer… I saw lots of monkeys, maybe hundreds of them. They are occupying the island. We throw the bananas from our boat and immediately they began to catch it. The monkeys are friendly so we step into the ground and gave the bananas to them.

On the way back, it’s about 8 am. The floating market was quiet. Only few boats around. I am wondering how wide is this river. My husband said it’s about one kilometers. He said he will bring me to see the bridge across this river. The name is Barito bridge. The same name as the river itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails